Friday, June 14, 2013

Helping Others

Yesterday, I helped out at the Salvation Army in Fayetteville. A group of awesome folks I work with sometimes ,went down and served supper to over 100 people! We had a raffle of items and gave out items as sunscreen,sunglasses,sleep mats, and other stuff. It was a great time , and they were so thankful for everything!Once a month or so we prepare and serve a meal, as well as gather useful items to give them. It is something I really look forward to.This has gotten me to wondering how many homeless people we have here in Moore Co? I have looked and cannot find any numbers. I know there are people living in cars and out in the elements, I just am not sure how many! When I became aware there were young teenagers and such, out on the streets because of family issues or bad decisions it really upsets me. When you are that age you choose a path, if you are homeless and hopeless lots of times its not a good or safe or healthy path. This is the time they need hope and to realize someone cares, that mistakes can be learned from and that a bright future is possible. The worse thing is giving up, on yourself and life in general!I want to find a way to help them! To give them a hot meal or a blanket or warm dry clothes! I want to give them HOPE!! If they see someone cares, and believes in them maybe it will turn someone around. The Bible tells us we are to go out and show Gods love to others. That means all others, not just our family and friends.If it takes us out of our comfort zone ,then GOOD! We need that sometimes.Scarf it up is an awesome group of people, started by a couple of amazing loving women who do this every month in Fayetteville every month, they inspire me, and amaze me! I am not sure how to do this , or if I can do this, but with the help of a very good friend who is brilliant on things like this, I think I am going to try!The question I have is who is with me? who is willing to help provide that meal, or blanket or clothes? Who will give a couple of hours a month to help?
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Scarf-it-Up/272782342752074?fref=ts


No comments:

Post a Comment