Friday, May 3, 2013

Street Fair

I walked around Cameron today, to see the vendors that had set up for tomorrow. It was  a little sad, there were a lot fewer than in past years. This mornings count was like 150, down from 300+ in its hay day! It seems some people in Cameron do not want to mess with it, they think it is a lot of trouble. I think that is a shame, I have a lot of happy memories of past street fairs, selling hot dogs in front of the Methodist church with the youth group, baking cakes for the women to sell inside the church and putting together ham biscuits at 5:30 or 6:00 am !Walking around in the late afternoon,after we had sold out,getting a glimpse of all the goodies that were for sale! Granted it was a lot of work, setting things up,ordering, preparing things, then delivering mail and coming back to help, but the fellowship was great!Now too many folks think it isn't worth the trouble,vendors are going to other towns who let them set up  and sell all week end. If we just put a little more effort into it ti could really be great again! We could have the antique cars at the park, and make it a week end affair. I know for a couple of the local churches this is there major fundraiser for the year! It would be a shame to let this die out, but it seems that's where its headed.Whats thew big deal? I mean if you need help with the set up,couldn't the town ask the schools or scouts to help, for their community service projects? Maybe have a committee in charge of the organization,advertising and preparation  then those who did not want to get involve would not have to? Send out a questionnaire to the towns people, see what they want, and what complaints they have,then see if you can address them. I don't know,maybe I am not seeing the big picture, maybe I am stuck in the past, but I love the charm of our little town, and I think the antiques add character to it. I hope we can pull together and save a wonderful tradition! See you at the street fair!

No comments:

Post a Comment